The meeting of the high-level political forum (HLPF) on sustainable development in 2019 convened under the auspices of the Economic and Social Council, was held from Tuesday, 9 July, to Thursday, 18 July 2019; including the three-day ministerial meeting of the forum from Tuesday, 16 July, to Thursday, 18 July 2019.
The theme was “Empowering people and ensuring inclusiveness and equality”.
The set of goals reviewed in depth were the following:
- Goal 4. Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
- Goal 8. Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
- Goal 10. Reduce inequality within and among countries
- Goal 13. Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
- Goal 16. Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels
- Goal 17. Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development
The HLPF is the essential global forum for reviewing successes, challenges and lessons learned on achieving the SDGs. In 2019, 47 countries (7 for the second time) have volunteered to present their national voluntary reviews to the HLPF.
Watch the video above (from 3:01:23) for Books2Africa’s statement delivered by two volunteers Nancy Nicole Falco from Italy and Arshita Nandan from India.